After my plans for the graduation dress failed thanks to its especially Disney-princess-y sleeves, I sort of lost my sew-jo. I’ll eventually finish it when I work up the energy to cut new sleeves (thanks for your help, by the way, you’re all great!), but for now I needed something simple to clean my palate. Since I’ve dreamed about a simple red dress for a few weeks now, I decided to cash in a gift certificate for the local fabric store and dust off my sewing machine.
I’ve made this dress before in a grey fabric that was a lot less stretchy. This jersey suits the pattern much better to be honest. It’s the same one I used for my teal dress a few months back. Jersey often looks and feels cheap to me, but not this one – it’s soft to the touch and looks high-quality.
Even though I’ve made the pattern before, I couldn’t remember how I did the part at the shoulders where the back piece is overlapping the front piece. The Burda instructions were, as happens quite often, indecipherable to me. I figured it out eventually, after a lot of trial and error, but the minute I had sewn in together successfully I forgot how it’s done again. Oh well. This is the problem of Future Tabea, should I ever try and make this pattern again.
The pattern calls for bias tape to finish the neckline in the back. I had this cute tape with strawberries and cherries that I liked so much I used it to finish the skirt hem and the sleeves as well. It’s going to be my little secret that a dress that goes more for sexy than cute has such adorable hidden details! Don’t tell anyone. 😉
I feel really great in this dress. I’ve been dating more in the past couple of months and don’t know what to wear every single time. You can bet that I’m going to wear this little red piece whenever I really want to impress! 😀
Pattern: Burda 10/2014 Nr. 105 (size 40)
Fabric: Jersey bought at Stoffwelt Neu-Ulm